PAGES

17 July 2013

"I'm Too Busy."

I don't like that expression. 

I especially don't like hearing it come out of my mouth, because I don't think I've ever used it honestly. What I probably should have said was...
                        ...I don't think you're important enough;
                     ...I don't let God order my day;
                  ...I'm not a woman of my word;
               ...I'm extremely disorganized;    
            ...I procrastinate a lot;
         ...I can't say, "No;" or
      ...I'm very lazy!
             
You see, I'm convinced that if I live according to God's will, I will never be too busy. I might be plenty busy, but never too busy, because the only things I will have to do are the things God has given me to do. And, He would never give me more than I can bear.

Confession Time
It's not that easy, though, because living according to God's To Do List for me means giving Him full access to my life. I'm going to have to allow Him to call the shots.

That means there will be things He wants to change. He may have something to say about how I'm living that I don't want to hear.

So, What's a Girl to Do? 
Well, she has to stop acting like a girl for starters, and start walking like a woman of God. 

If we've been setting the agenda, we need to stop now and let back God on the throne of our lives. Being busy isn't a bad thing. Having a full schedule is actually biblical. We just want to be sure we are busy about God's business, because that is where His promise to help us is committed.



A Busy Woman
I would like to introduce you to a woman who knew how to keep a full schedule well. This is a sample of just an ordinary day in her life. 
She shops around for the best yarns and cottons, and enjoys knitting and sewing.
She’s like a trading ship that sails to faraway places and brings back exotic surprises. 
She’s up before dawn, preparing breakfast for her family and organizing her day. 
She looks over a field and buys it, then, with money she’s put aside, plants a garden. 
First thing in the morning, she dresses for work,   rolls up her sleeves, eager to get started. 
She senses the worth of her work, is in no hurry to call it quits for the day. 
She’s skilled in the crafts of home and hearth,  diligent in homemaking.  
She’s quick to assist anyone in need, reaches out to help the poor. 
She doesn’t worry about her family when it snows; their winter clothes are all mended and ready to wear. 
She makes her own clothing, and dresses in colorful linens and silks. 
Her husband is greatly respected when he deliberates with the city fathers. 
She designs gowns and sells them, brings the sweaters she knits to the dress shops. Her clothes are well-made and elegant, and she always faces tomorrow with a smile. 
When she speaks she has something worthwhile to say, and she always says it kindly. 
She keeps an eye on everyone in her household, and keeps them all busy and productive.
I'm sure you recognize this to be the famous Proverbs 31 Woman. This is Proverbs 31:13-27 from The Message, and I highlighted all the words and phrases that indicate action. If you just read the pink words, you'ld need to stop and catch a breath before you got to the end. Just imagine living that life! She was a busy woman.

Yet, she did manage to do it all. How?

Well, I think the answer is in verse 30:
"The woman to be admired and praised is the woman who lives in the Fear-of-God."

A person who does not live in the fear of God is a person who isn't putting the Lord first in her life. She isn't consulting the Word of God. She is setting her own priorities.

Repent, Submit, Obey. Repeat.
In order for our priorities to be in order, we have to start at the feet of Jesus.
1) Repent. Repent of holding the controls, of any behaviors that have lead you away from the Lord.
2) Submit. Submit to the will of the Lord and to the godly authority He has been given you (spouses, parents, pastors, teachers, etc).
3) Obey. Obey the Word of God as it has been written (logos), and revealed by the Holy Spirit (rhema).
OK. So, it's not really that easy, but the Lord knows your heart, and He will help you. He really will! He doesn't want you running around like a chicken with your head cut off, or feeling anxious and stressed and worried.

See, here's the thing. What's going to happen is that you're going to begin to see that when your will is submitted to the Lord's will, He becomes the Superintendent of your life. That means His grace pours over everything that concerns you, and it works out. He picks up the slack, and He gives you the strength, and He helps you do it all.

He really does! 


When I'm tempted to say, "I'm too busy" or "I have too much to do," there is always a catch in my spirit.  

Always. 

I know it means I need to get right with the Lord. I need to put Him back in charge. And, follow His lead, because I don't want to miss out on anything He has for me to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!